What we do
20 November 2020
Following the recent meeting of the East of England APPG on Infrastructure for a Net Zero region, the Co-Chairs of the APPG have written to Energy Minister Kwasi Kwarteng MP.
The meeting heard how the East of England is already at the epicentre of developments in decarbonising the energy sector and a frontrunner in contributing to meet the UK’s net zero carbon target through its potential for innovation in clean growth technology and solutions for renewables, including offshore wind, hydrogen fuels and nuclear power generation. It went on to consider what needs to be done nationally but also regionally to deliver this agenda.
The letter relayed the key points made during the meeting and asked six pertinent questions:
- How can we ensure carbon is factored into the design and approval of all Government funded projects?
- How can the Government further support hydrogen as a future energy source in the East of England and when can we expect to see the promised hydrogen strategy?
- When will a plan be available to deliver the Prime Minister’s commitment to 40GW of offshore wind by 2030; and will this include a vision on how this will be adequately funded?
- What are your observations regarding the need for intervention to ensure that grid development is coordinated with streamlined planning that better incorporates the North Sea and future offshore and onshore developments?
- Is there a date set for the publication of the Energy White Paper?
- Are there any plans for a Just Transition Commission or Advisory Board to look at the social implication of moving to a net zero economy as there is in Scotland?
The Secretariat will update stakeholders of the APPG when a response is received.
To read the full letter, click here.
7 May 2020
Following a virtual meeting of the APPG in June 2020, the APPG sent a letter to Rt Hon Steve Barclay MP, Chief Secretary to the Treasury.
Twelve “consensus” points were made at the meeting attended by MPs and business, public and third sector leaders – 68 in total.
- To see the letter in full – please click here.
- You can also read the response the APPG received from Rt Hon Steve Barclay MP – please click here.
- On 13.07.20 – the co-Chairs of the APPG wrote a further response to Rt Hon Alok Sharma, Secretary of State, BEIS and Rt Hon Steve Barclay, Chief Secretary to the Treasury – please click here.
If you would like to watch back this ‘virtual’ meeting, please click the photo below. The APPG was joined by guest speakers:
- Seena Shah – Chair of East of England, FSB
- Jane Galvin – former East of England CBI Chair and Head of UK Corporate Banking for HSBC
- Cllr Linda Haysey – Chair-elect of the East of England LGA.
Next meeting of the East of England APPG
The last APPG meeting of 2020 will be held on Wednesday 9th December 10:00 – 11:30.
- Review of the Spending Review – to what extent did it deliver what the APPG, & others, asked for?
- Report back on discussions regards strengthening advocacy for the East of England
- Discussion on themes for next year’s meetings
Get in touch with [email protected] to register!
Previous Meetings of the East of England APPG
Infrastructure for a Net Zero East of England and the Region’s Response and Recovery from COVID-19 with the East of England LGA
Wednesday 4th November
Transport & Digital Infrastructure
15th September 2020
COVID-19: Health care services – innovation, integration and improvement
Thursday 16th July 2020
East of England’s Potential Contribution to the Recovery
Thursday 7th May 2020
Tuesday 4th February 2020
Committee Room 14
Parliamentary Reception: An Engine for the Nation’s Prosperity
Tuesday 26th June 2019
House of Commons Pavilion Terrace
Sustainable Growth in the East of England: The Housing Implications
Tuesday 14th May 2019
Jubilee Room, House of Commons
Sustainable Growth in the East of England: The Transport Implications
26th March 2019
Employment, Education and Skills: the Region’s Local Industrial Strategies
15th January 2019
After the Budget
6th November 2018
Westminster Hall Debate – “Promoting economic growth in the East of England.”
10th October 2018
Can be read in full here.
Parliamentary Launch of the Budget Submission
5th September 2018
Local Industrial Strategy
26th June 2018
Infrastructure, Investment and Housing
24th April 2018
Transport and Growth
28th February 2018
Inaugural meeting of the East of England APPG
13th December 2017
The East of England APPG is kindly supported by British Sugar, London Stansted Airport, the East of England LGA, AstraZeneca and Haven Gateway Partnership.
If you are interested in supporting the East of England APPG then please get in contact via [email protected]